For today’s Think Kit prompt, I’m using a lifeline. Sooo….”What are your top 10 favorite things from 2012?”
This year has been AMAZING. Here’s why.
1. The Super Bowl in Indianapolis. All I can say is WOW. I had a great opportunity to be a part of the Huddle After Hours, featuring local and national DJs including DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Hood Internet. It was so cool to see the old Nordstrom space turned into a lounge/club atmosphere. And to have over 1,000 people in the door on the first night? No complaints here! The weather was perfect, I got to see Gringo Star in the Super Bowl Village and witnessed our city transform into an entertainment mecca.
2. Village Cigar. If you haven’t been to this amazing cigar and craft cocktail bar in Broad Ripple, you’re missing out. I could sit on one of the sofas all night long and drink Moscow Mules until I have to be carried out. Brought to you by the owners of Northside Social, this cigar bar is for the young and hip, with a breezy Cuban feel to it and delicious handmade libations. I even smoked a vanilla cigar when I went in. I highly recommend this bar to anyone in the Broad Ripple area who is looking for somewhere more mature to go and have a good time with friends.
3. YOLO. Even though I hate this word, it’s still funny to use it ironically.
4. PBR Onesie Bar Crawl. Quite possibly the worst hangover I’ve ever had, this bar crawl completed 2012 for me. I never imagined I would get to drink in public wearing an adult onesie during the day. But alas, I did. You can see all of the pictures from that glorious day here on the PBR Facebook page. I’m not sure life gets much better than that.
5. New albums from Sleigh Bells and Crystal Castles. My girl crushes, Alexis Krauss and Alice Glass, never disappoint. Anyone who knows me knows I’m obsessed with Sexi Lexi and her band. Here’s a Diplo mix for Demons that I’ve been listening to lately if you want some new tunes.
6. Gangnam Style. Just kidding, I hate that fucking song.
7. ORANJE2012. This year, ORANJE moved venues to The Indiana State Fairgrounds, making it more accessible to everyone. The turnout was great and the event had so many new elements and surprises. The Red Bull DJ truck was an awesome addition and the flash mob style dancing that happened throughout the building was great. The bands are art were new and fresh and I can’t wait to see what happens next year!
8. Discovering Cork + Cracker. This wine store gets looked over because it’s not in Broad Ripple Village, but close to Marsh at 62nd and Keystone. The store has over 400 bottles in stock and all are reasonable prices. I used to just pick up a cheap bottle from the grocery store depending on what the label looked like (I’m superficial, ok?) but I’ve learned that I can get a higher quality wine at a better price from Cork + Cracker. Not to mention the staff is super friendly and knowledgeable; just tell them what you like and they’ll have the perfect bottle for you.
9. Pinkberry opening in Indy. Do I really need to say more?
10. Traveling. Everything from Chicago to Key West to Florida, I did more traveling this year than normal. It also didn’t hurt that I had the best vacation companion that I could imagine. I hope I can top 2012’s adventures in 2013 with trips to Barcelona, Key West, hopefully Denver and even throwing in a music festival or two.